Saturday, January 26, 2008

Captxmel18501260539australia_open_tennis Captxmel15701260457australia_open_tennis_1




I am so happy she did it on Finals day. She had so many injuries last year and wasn't playing at her best. But she was on fire in this tournament. She beat Lindsay Davenport, Justin Henin and Jelena Jankovic in a convincing, emphatic fashion of superb tennis from her. Eventhough she didn't play quite the way against Ana Ivanovic like the other three but she still did beautifully with her groundstrokes that stormed like rockets and forced 30+ unforced errors from Anna.

Road to Champion:

1R: W vs Jelena Kostanic Tosic 6-4 6-3
2R: W vs Lindsay Davenport 6-1 6-3
3R: W vs Elena Vesnina 6-3 6-0
4R: W vs (11) Elena Dementieva 6-2 6-0
QF: W vs (1) Justine Henin 6-4 6-0
SF: W vs (3) Jelena Jankovic 6-3 6-1
F: W vs (4) Ana Ivanovic 7-5 6-3

Sound Bites:
Q. You seemed really driven to win this title. You've done that. What now? Obviously you want to win other titles. Justine has been the dominant force the last six months. Would you like to achieve that sort of domination?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Definitely. But I don't think that I'll -- I don't think that I'm quite physically and experienced enough to do that. I know I've already won three Grand Slams. I know I keep saying this, but I don't think I'm at the peak of my career yet. I don't think my body has 100% developed into its own. I've got many more things to learn, you know, in my tennis, and many things to build and improve.
That takes time. It's not an overnight process. It's something that I look forward to. No matter how many tough times or bad days I'm going to have, as long as I walk up in the morning and can't wait to get that tennis racquet out of my bag, I'll always be looking forward to improving.

"Champions take chances, and pressure is a privilege," Billy Jean King had written in a text message that Sharapova saw when she woke up.

Congratulations Maria. You just officially inducted yourself in the "The-French-Open-title-is-now-the-only-grand-slam-championship-that-has-continued-to-
elude-me" club!

No comments: